Sunday, October 12, 2008

Just Getting Started -- blogging that is.

I've been working from home for about three years.  I love it.  It's great, there's nothing I'd rather do.  However, it's also frustrating, overly time consuming, focus dividing, and, at times, loud.

I should back up.  I am a trained paralegal.  My husband and I moved in 2005 after Hurricane Wilma.  We upped our timetable for our move because I had had it with the hurricanes -- five in two years.  My then law firm was extremely understanding about it.  They allowed me to work from my new digs during my notice period, then I agreed to stay on until they found someone.  I  stayed on until one particularly complex case concluded earlier this year.  During this time, I didn't have enough work to keep me busy all the time, so I started work as a virtual assistant.  I'd been working as a legal secretary/paralegal for so long, it fit into my skill set perfectly.  I have two clients who keep me pretty busy and they are two of the best bosses I have ever had.

One of the biggest frustrations I have with working from home is that people that have never done it or only do it occasionally, just don't understand it.  My schedule is extremely flexible -- most of the time.  There are some days that I have time to talk on the phone, do a bit of laundry or clean the kitchen.  There are many other days that I am so busy I forget to eat lunch.  It took a long time to train my friends and family that sometimes I just can't talk.  They still sometimes forget.  But I'll get to that later -- when it's actually a problem.  Today and this past week, it's not one of my pet peeves.  But there are many and we'll get to each and every one of them, including a few I don't have yet, as well as the satisfactions.

I must say that I almost never feel guilty working from home.  When I was working outside the home I always felt guilty.  I felt guilty at work because I wasn't at home with my kids and I felt guilty at home because there were things I hadn't accomplished at work because I couldn't stay late, get there early, or participate in functions.  For me, working from has been the best.

No comments: