Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Finally Alone!

If you have read my previous entries you know I love working from home.  You may also remember that my husband works from home, which is also great about 95% of the time.  We've been married 15 years and we no longer need to go to work to get away from each other.  However..... every so often I just want him to go away.

Chris gets time alone in the house for a while just about every day.  I run errands, take the kids to various activities, run a load of laundry, but he is ALWAYS here.  Our offices  are right next to each other with a door in between.  If he's on the phone, I hear it (and vice versa).  When he is home there is no time that I can get absolutely engulfed in a project without some interruption.  Now, I know what you are thinking -- if I worked in an office, when would I have that opportunity -- and you would be right.  I can also go elsewhere in the house to work, but no where else is quite as comfortable to work as my office.  Everything is there.  If I worked outside the house, I wouldn't have lunch or dinner with the person I found annoying at work or who kept me from concetrating.  Who do I complain to after work about my petty annoyances?  
There is nothing less entertaining that hearing everything that is going on in the next office (he's on the phone A LOT) and then having a blow by blow again at the dinner table.  Thankfully, there is sometimes some new material -- from the time that I was off doing kid things.

I say all this today because today is a very sweet day.  Chris had to commute into his actual office this morning for a company wide meeting.  I have the house to myself, it's quiet except for the snoring dog and I am finally going to get to the work that I have been putting off for weeks because of the concentration required.  I might even blast a little music later and I won't use earphones!