Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Off the subject

It's been a long time since I posted. Things have been quite busy and a lot has changed in the world. I had a cousin leave to fight in Iraq, the economy took a further nose dive, and we have a new president elect and although none of those things are on point with this blog, I will get to each of them.

First, my cousin leaving for Iraq. I don't believe that we should be there any more and I think how we got here or why is a moot point. Right now, what is rubbing me the wrong way is how we treat our departing soldiers.

I found out a couple of days before Rick was due to leave that he was shipping out to Iraq. I am the only family member that lives close enough to Fort Benning to say "Goodbye, we'll miss you, please don't die!" Now, they didn't give him a definite day, location or time of departure until the day before he left. Ok, I can understand that. If I were a terrorist, I suppose I would want to keep us from sending additional soldiers to Iraq. So, I was on alert all week so I could be there when he left.

Rick made sure with the powers that be that I could see him off. My mother called and checked with two others to verify where, when and that I could be there. When I showed up, a full half hour before Rick said to be there, but a half hour after I wanted to be there, I was told if I had just shown up a little earlier I could have seen him long enough for hug. Only two other women and I showed up to see these soldiers off (that by itself, is sad). One was a soldier's wife, the second was her friend. The wife had been on post ALL DAY and she was under the impression that she would get to see her husband of only a year and half before he got on the plane. I had brought treats for everyone leaving. I brought Halloween treats, my cell phone (with extra minutes to use up), my laptop for emails and some birthday cards for the soldiers to fill out that I would mail to family when appropriate. These ladies and I offered to go through security, we offered to do whatever it took to be allowed to visit for a little bit. Now, I do not mean any offense to these ladies at all, but it was obvious that they were both amputees. So these ladies and I (the "soccer mom") were the big threats to national security on Halloween this year. Are you frightened? The Army certainly was.

We did stick around in hopes of at least seeing Rick and this lady's husband. We were told by some kind soldiers (THANK YOU, THANK YOU) that there would be a smoke break before getting on the plane. We were able to get a message to them that although they don't smoke, they needed a smoke break. As the soldiers were coming out for their smoke break, we not so politely moved across the street. So we did get to see them, but we had to yell across the street. After about five minutes, we were even less politely, but not exactly forcibly, asked to leave.

My brother in law, who was in the Army, put it best: If the Army had wanted soldiers to have a family, it would have issued them one. It doesn't matter what you think about the war. These soldiers are going off to fight and possibly sacrifice their lives. Their families are having to sit, wait, hope and pray that their loved one is ok. And this is how we treat departing soldiers and their families? It is beyond shameful.